The Nintendo Switch is a brilliant gaming station that you can take on the road with you. Its hybrid system makes it unique, and its portability makes it a steal. Want to know if you can bring your Nintendo switch on a plane? We’ll tell you everything you need to know!
One common question Nintendo Switch users and gamers have been asking is if it is possible to bring a Nintendo Switch on a plane. There is an incorrect assertion that the Nintendo Switch is one of the banned electronic gadgets to bring on an airplane. Some people go far in saying that the Nintendo Switch airplane ban took place after 2020.
But as things stand right now, you can bring your Nintendo Switch console on a plane. Apart you’re your Nintendo Switch, you can bring other portable gaming devices and electronic gadgets on a plane. However, you must make sure that the device you want to bring onboard has TSA certification.
According to the TSA, you can bring handheld or portable electronic devices such as your tablets, laptops, headphones, Nintendo Switch, and other handy devices when traveling on a plane. This is good news, isn’t it?
Devices larger than a cell phone will have to be scanned and kept in a separate container for protection. You can choose to bring full-sized gaming consoles along with you or pack them inside your checked luggage for convenience while boarding. Still, the bag must be scanned in a separate case before you will be allowed to board the plane.
It makes more sense to have your Nintendo Switch and other electronic devices ready before going through the security checkup. This will make ease your stress and make things easier for the TSA agents.
If your gadgets have been packed inside your carry-on bag and need to be scanned, you will be required to bring all of them out. This will be a hassle especially if your devices are buried deep inside your checked bag. Without a doubt, this will slow down the work of the airport security agents, so ensure that these devices are ready before going through the airport security.
If you want to use your Nintendo Switch on a plane, there are some things that you should keep in mind:
1. Keep the Switch in airplane mode before boarding the plane
Airplane mode is synonymous with ‘flight mode’. This mode blocks all incoming calls and prevents you from connecting to available Wi-Fi networks. Moreover, it prevents you from using GPS or connecting to Bluetooth or any Bluetooth-enabled device.
In case you don’t know, cell phone and Wi-Fi signals can clash or interfere with the GPS and other navigation equipment on the airplane. Therefore, you are required to put all your devices in flight mode or airplane mode before boarding the plane.
Some airlines will allow you to connect to Wi-Fi once the plane gets to a cruising altitude. Nevertheless, ensure that you run any updates on your Nintendo Switch before boarding the plane just in case.
2. You cannot use tabletop mode in airplane mode
The second thing you need to take into cognizance is that you cannot use tabletop mode while in airplane mode. The Nintendo Switch has two main modes namely:
- Handheld mode.
- Tabletop mode.
As the name suggests, the handheld mode allows you to hold the console in your hands while playing, just the way you hold your smartphone or tablet in your hand while in use.
On the other hand, the tabletop mode requires a table to keep the Switch and you will need the JoyCon controllers to use the console in tabletop mode. This mode involves placing the Switch on a stand and detaching the JoyCon controllers on the sides. In doing this, you can use these controllers while your console is on the stand.
It is crucial to know that the tabletop mode works only when a Wi-Fi connection is established. If the Switch is not connected to Wi-Fi, you cannot use the JoyCon controllers wirelessly.
How To Turn On Airplane Mode Of Nintendo Switch
Airplane mode, or flight mode as Nintendo puts it, deactivates Bluetooth and WiFi while you are on a plane. Also, it prevents you from disconnecting the Joycon controllers from the Switch and using them in tabletop mode.
It is possible to turn on Bluetooth while in airplane mode to use your JoyCon controllers but this isn’t safe to do while you are on an airplane. You can turn on the airplane mode of your Switch by pressing the home button. Follow the steps below:
- First of all, click the home button for a few seconds.
- Click the right side of the home button.
- Tap the flight mode.
- Tap the toggle to turn on flight mode.
- Check to see if the flight mode icon displays on the corner of the console’s screen.
Remember that when you turn on the airplane mode of your Nintendo Switch, your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi will be disconnected. Moreover, the JoyCon controllers won’t connect to the console, so you can’t use them in tabletop mode.
How To Use Nintendo Switch On The Airplane
You can still play games on your Nintendo Switch console while on a plane. However, you have to relax until the plane reaches cruising altitude.
By Connecting The JoyCons
- When the airplane enters cruising altitude, turn on your Switch and use the tabletop mode.
- Find an angle that is most convenient for you to play games.
- Connect the joy-cons with the Nintendo Switch. For example, you have to click the circular release button located on the upper side of both JoyCon controllers and slide on the upper side to pair them with your console.
- You can pair the joy-cons by sliding them on the lower side. Then, secure them around your wrists.
Sync The Joy-Cons
- After you must have connected the Joy-Con controllers to your console, press the button thrice, so they’ll be ready to use.
- If you are using a new controller, all you have to do is to click on the home button. Then, navigate to the right side of the joy-con.
- Select the options of the controllers and press the change grip option, and choose the order option.
- At this point, you need to hold the button down and allow it to sync for some time.
- The new joy-cons should be relatively easy to pair by sliding on the Switch without changing the settings.
Prepare The Battery Pack
You just finished pairing the joy-cons and you are ready for some action. Before playing games or using the console, you have to take the battery life according to flight time into consideration. You’ll have to manage the battery life of your console or keep the charger in a place where you can easily get it.
Here are some ways that you can enjoy the Switch while traveling on an airplane:
- Plug in the battery with the USB Type-C and A cable.
- Now, connect the other end with the stand of the console.
- You should have a power bank close by. You can keep your power bank in the pouch or at the back of your seat.
- If you are traveling at night, reduce the screen brightness of your Nintendo Switch to make the battery last longer. You can modify the screen brightness from the main menu. The brightness icon is that of a sun, you can easily adjust it to a level that is suitable for you.
The Nintendo Switch has a decent battery life; it can last up to 6 hours. Nevertheless, there are some power-hungry games that consume more batteries than usual. For instance, if you are playing games like Xenoblade Chronicles, the battery will drain faster. Also, if you play the hotlines Miami and N++, the battery can last longer.
How To Charge Nintendo Switch On The Plane
The Nintendo Switch can be charged with a USB C cable. Apart from that, you will have a USB C outlet with other electronic devices as well. Also, you should have a convenient way to carry the console with you without the docking station.
To charge the Nintendo Switch, you must plug one end of the USB C cable into your console and plug the adapter on the other end into a power outlet. It is worthy to note that both the console itself and the Joy-Cons must be charged before use.
How can you charge the Joy-cons? There are two ways to charge the joy-con controllers:
- You can pair the joy-cons with the USB Type C cable and a battery pack. Pair the JoyCons to your console while it’s charging.
- Alternatively, you can use the charging dock station that was packed when you bought your console.
You can charge your Nintendo Switch on the plane or on the go through the following methods:
- Get a battery pack that uses USB C.
- Plug the Switch into a laptop. Then turn off the console to charge.
Ensure that you charge your console before you get to the airport to enjoy many hours of playing time while traveling.
Can you Take a Nintendo Switch Dock on a Plane?
Yes, you can take the dock on your console on the airplane. It is legal to do this. Also, the Nintendo Switch can be charged with the USB Type C cable, so you don’t have to carry the entire docking station with you on the plane.
In addition, you may travel comfortably without carrying the dock of your Nintendo with you. It may be a good idea to keep the dock in your checked bag. In the same manner, it will be easier to go through checking after you have kept the Switch and other gaming devices separately in the handbag. Certainly, all electronic devices will be checked before you board the plane.
Moreover, you may get into trouble with the security agents if they found it after scanning your luggage. So, you must keep your console and other electronic gadgets in a handy manner to ease the work of the security agents and allow you to board the plane quickly.
Where Can You Buy Nintendo Switch and Its Joy-Con Controllers?
You can purchase the Nintendo Switch and the controllers on Amazon. Amazon has the best-selling and best deals for the Nintendo Switch right here. You have the neon blue and red JoyCon controllers to choose from.
Also, it features over 8+ hours of powerful battery life for you to pass the time and have a good traveling experience. The battery life of the Nintendo may vary due to your usage or the kind of games you play. The battery power differs while using the Switch on the TV, or in handheld or tabletop mode.
I guess you now know that you can use your Nintendo Switch and other gaming gadgets and electronic devices while traveling on an airplane. Remember to always turn on the flight mode before using your Nintendo Switch on the plane.
Regardless of the duration of the flight, you are sure of having a good time while flying. You can come along with a pair of headphones for a better gaming experience. Although the Switch has a good battery life, you can carry a USB type C cord to charge them when the need arises.