Installing a VPN is necessary if you enjoy watching content on Roku or any streaming device. Thankfully, PureVPN is compatible with Roku devices, and you should consider using it to enjoy total privacy and freedom while streaming movies and TV shows.
PureVPN is one of the best and in-demand VPN providers on the market. They have a strong security and encryption system, affordable subscription plans, and offer thousands of servers in different countries.
Since most Roku channels are geo-restricted to the United States, anyone outside the US region won’t access the best live TV channels and shows unless he has a US IP address. Thanks to VPN providers like PureVPN, internet users can bypass these limitations and stream their favorite TV channels and streaming platforms.
Unfortunately, many cord-cutters have difficulty setting up a PureVPN on Roku because Roku lacks dedicated VPN functionality. However, there is a workaround for this. This article will show you how to install and set up PureVPN on Roku.
Regardless of where you are based, in the United States, or abroad, you should be able to establish a VPN connection via your WiFi router and use it on Roku after reading this article.
Table of Contents
Why Use PureVPN on Roku?
There are hundreds of VPN providers, so why use PureVPN for online streaming? PureVPN is considered one of the best VPN providers.
Below are some reasons why you should use this VPN for your online activities:
- Fast Streaming: PureVPN has fast servers, which are super good for streaming. You won’t experience lagging or buffering issues while streaming TV content on Roku using this VPN. PureVPN speeds are as high as 20Gbps so that you can stream high-quality videos fast.
- Smart Server Selection: One of the amazing features of PureVPN is that they have an advanced feature that automatically picks the fastest server for you to stream your favorite online content, regardless of your location. This feature will be helpful if the server you are connected to is down or used by many other PureVPN users.
- Unblock Geo-Blocks: Another reason thousands of people use PureVPN is that they provide users access to numerous servers. PureVPN has over 6,500+ servers in more than 140 countries. Many cord-cutters and binge-watchers can bypass geo-restrictions and access Netflix libraries from the United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Canada, and France, after being connected to their VPN server. PureVPN can unblock the Netflix library as well as other streaming websites like Hulu, HBO Max, DAZN, fuboTV, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, and more.
- Top-notch Security: PureVPN uses the latest and industry-standard security and encryption technology. Your web traffic and internet activity are secured away from your ISP, TV manufacturer, or anyone snooping on your streaming activity.
- Internet Safety Switch: Not all VPN providers offer this feature, but PureVPN protects your online activity by automatically deactivating your WiFi connection when the VPN connection drops.
- Download Torrents Security: PureVPN’s servers are optimized and well-programmed for torrenting. If you are looking for a VPN for streaming and torrenting, you must check out PureVPN.
- 24/7 Customer Support: PureVPN offers responsive 24/7 customer support. You can easily contact their customer team if you run into any issues with this VPN. Fortunately, they have live chat support, which lets you communicate with the support team in real time.
Does PureVPN Work With Roku?
PureVPN works with any internet-connected device, including Roku devices. Unlike FireTV and Amazon FireStick devices, you can’t directly install PureVPN on your Roku device because Roku doesn’t support VPNs. Secondly, there is a PureVPN app for Roku.
If you must pair PureVPN with Roku, you have several options. You can set up PureVPN on your router or create a virtual Wi-Fi hotspot that’s connected to PureVPN servers from your PC. However, this may sound complicated, especially if you haven’t installed a VPN on Roku before. Don’t worry; I will guide you through all the processes.
How To Setup PureVPN on Roku
As mentioned, installing PureVPN on Roku is complicated, and the issue isn’t peculiar to PureVPN alone but to all VPN services. The problem is that Roku doesn’t have dedicated support for VPN apps, so you can’t install the PureVPN app on your Roku device as you would on FireStick.
Therefore, you must use a physical or virtual router to install PureVPN on your Roku. If you can get your hands on any router (physical or virtual), then we are good to go!
In this guide, I will share many methods to set up PureVPN on Roku. Hence, I urge you to read carefully and follow everything step-by-step.
Method 1: How To Setup PureVPN on Roku Using a Physical Router
Roku can be connected to a VPN service when paired with a VPN-enabled physical router. If you can do this successfully, you can access all PureVP’s functionality, such as top-level encryption and unblocking premium streaming channels on Roku.
Follow the instructions below to configure PureVPN on Roku via router:
- Step 1: Create a PureVPN account. Obviously, this is the first thing to do. If you don’t have an active PureVPN account, click here to sign up on their website.
- Step 2: Subscribe to any plan that meets your needs after creating your account.
- Step 3: Now that you are subscribed, you must configure PureVPN on your router.
- Step 4: Go to the Roku home screen.
- Step 5: Click on Settings.
- Step 6: Click on Network.
- Step 7: Select “Setup Connection“.
- Step 8: Click on Wireless.
- Step 9: Now, the device will search for available Wi-Fi Networks. Locate your Wi-Fi connection on the list and click on it.
- Step 10: Enter your password.
- Step 11: You should be connected if you entered the right credentials.
- Step 12: Once connected, start streaming!
Method 2: How To Setup PureVPN on Roku Using a Virtual Router
An alternative way of using PureVPN on your Roku streaming device is to install the VPN on your Mac or Windows computer and share the connection from your PC to Roku. This process is very simple and can be completed within five minutes.
The exciting feature about this method is that it is one-time, so once you set it up, you don’t need to do the process over again when next you want to use a VPN with your Roku device.
How To Create a Virtual Router on Mac
Follow the instructions provided below to create a virtual router on Mac. However, ensure your Mac is connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable before starting this process.
- Step 1: Click on the Apple logo.
- Step 2: Click on System Preferences.
- Step 3: When you get to the network window, select interface as “VPN”, VPN Type can be edited to whatever you want to use, and leave the Service Name as ‘Roku’.
- Step 4: Visit https://support.purevpn.com/vpn-servers and enter your preferred server address.
- Step 5: Click on Authentication Settings.
- Step 6: Enter your username and password.
- Step 7: Click on Advanced.
- Step 8: Select the “Send all traffic over VPN connection” option. Click on OK and tap the Apply button.
- Step 9: Click on Connect.
- Step 10: Click the Apple logo.
- Step 11: Go to System Preferences.
- Step 12: Click on Sharing.
- Step 13: Click on Internet Sharing.
- Step 14: Click on Wi-Fi.
- Step 15: Edit the settings using the details provided below
Network Name: Enter the name of your network.
Channel: You can leave it as default.
Security: Choose the WPA2 Personal option.
Password: Create a password (For extra security)
Confirmation: Re-enter the password.
- Step 16: Click on ‘OK‘ to save the settings.
How To Create a Virtual Router on a Microsoft Windows PC
The steps below will show you how to create a virtual router using your Windows computer and connect to your Roku device:
- Step 1: Download and install the PureVPN software program for your PC.
- Step 2: Go to the taskbar.
- Step 3: Click on Internet Connection.
- Step 4: Click on Network & Internet Settings.
- Step 5: Look for the mobile hotspot option on the left-hand area and enable the toggle for “Share my Internet connection with other devices“.
- Step 6: Still on the same left-hand area, click on Status.
- Step 7: Click on Change Adapter Options.
- Step 8: Right-click on PureVPN, tap Adapter, and click on Properties.
- Step 9: Check the box next to “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” in the sharing tab.
- Step 10: Select the connection you’ve just created from the drop-down menu and tap ‘OK’.
- Step 11: Open the PureVPN app you downloaded on your PC.
- Step 12: Login using your account credentials and connect to a US server.
Note: Ensure your Roku is set to the US region. If your Roku location is configured to the US region, you can jump to step 22.
- Step 13: Connect to a US server.
- Step 14: Visit owner.roku.com on your PC or mobile device.
- Step 15: When asked to choose a country, set the location to the United States.
- Step 16: Enter any US zip code.
- Step 17: Factory reset your Roku device. You can do this by pressing and holding the reset button at the back of your Roku device for around 15 seconds.
- Step 18: When your Roku reboots, click on Settings.
- Step 19: Select Network.
- Step 20: Select Set up Connection.
- Step 21: Click on Wireless.
- Step 22: Select PureVPN from the list of Wi-Fi presented.
- Step 23: Enter your Wi-Fi password and connect.
With the steps above, you can configure your Roku device to work with the VPN-enabled virtual router you created. If you are a FireStick user, you may need to see this guide to learn how to install PureVPN on your FireStick device.
How To Unblock Streaming Channels on Roku Using PureVPN
Sadly, Roku only offers streaming services to United States citizens and residents. Licensing agreements prevent Roky from offering streaming services worldwide.
If you are abroad or outside the US, you will be denied access to streaming content on Roku. The moment you launch your Roku device, the system automatically detects and tracks your location using your IP address.
All foreign IP addresses are restricted from using the platform. It is unfair to stop certain regions from using the same streaming experience enjoyed by US residents, but the bottom line is that licensing agreements and contracts must be respected.
You no longer have to worry about geo-restrictions on Roku or any streaming platform or website because PureVPN helps you bypass these restrictions.
Once you connect to any US server in the PureVPN network, you are given a temporary US IP address for the entire time your VPN connection is turned on. With the US IP address, your location is set to the United States, not the country you are streaming from.
If you want to unblock the American Netflix library, subscribing to PureVPN can help. Simply follow these instructions:
- Subscribe to PureVPN.
- Follow any of the methods we shared to install PureVPN on your Roku device.
- Open your Roku home screen.
- Install the Netflix app.
- Enter your Username and password.
- Ensure you are connected to a VPN-enabled router.
- Connect to the US server.
- Open the Netflix app.
Once you launch the Netflix app, you can stream American movies and content on Netflix.
PureVPN is 100% effective and compatible with Netflix. It always works for this purpose, but in case it doesn’t work or if you are displeased with its streaming results and performance, you can cancel your PureVPN subscription within 31 days of your purchase and get a full refund.
What Are The Best Streaming Apps for Roku?
Some of the free streaming apps you can try out on your Roku device include:
- The Roku Channel.
- Pluto TV.
What Are The Best Alternatives to PureVPN?
Below are the best PureVPN alternatives:
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use PureVPN on Roku?
Not all VPNs are Roku-compatible, but you can use PureVPN on your Roku device. Though PureVPN doesn’t have an app you can install directly on your Roku device, you should be able to configure the VPN on Roku via a physical or virtual router.
Is PureVPN The Best VPN for Roku?
PureVPN offers fast servers, making it great for online streaming.
How To Use PureVPN for Roku Streaming?
Perhaps, you want to switch to a US server to stream content on Roku. If yes, here’s what you should do:
- Go to your Roku home screen.
- Go to Settings >> Network >> Setup Connection.
- Click on Wireless.
- Check your Wi-Fi connection.
- Enter your password.
- If you enter the correct credentials, the status will change to ‘Connected’, showing your successful connection.
How Can I Install PureVPN on Roku?
Installing PureVPN on Roku is a brainer. The process may be tricky because there is no app to connect to directly.
You can connect PureVPN or any VPN service to your Roku device using a physical router or by creating a virtual Wi-Fi/hotspot connection using your Mac or Windows PC.
Hopefully, this article has shown you everything you need to know about configuring PureVPN on Roku. We hope you got value from this guide by using it to set up the VPN connection on your device and start streaming.
Many binge-watchers and cord-cutters use PureVPN for online streaming and privacy protection. We also encourage you to do the same by getting a PureVPN subscription today.