VPN services are popularly used for different internet activities. Cord-cutters, binge-watchers, and streamers aren’t left out as they rely on VPN to bypass ISP throttling, unlock geo-restricted content, and secure their streaming experience.
While Roku remains a viable alternative to FireStick, one of its major drawbacks is that it doesn’t support installing third-party applications, that is, getting apps outside its official store.
Unlike Amazon FireStick, which allows users to install third-party apps seamlessly after jailbreaking their device, you can’t do that on Roku. Well, you can still set up a VPN on Roku if you want to.
Even though Roku is yet to have VPN apps on its official store, there is a workaround to installing a VPN on your Roku device. There are several VPNs you may want to use while streaming on Roku.
SurfShark is one of the popular choices in the VPN industry, if not the best VPN. It offers over 3,200+ servers in 100+ countries. Another reason why Surfshark is a great choice for streamers is that it provides quality, fast servers for streaming and torrenting. Moreover, it unblocks content on major streaming devices, including HBO Max, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, DAZN, and many more.
You can enjoy an unlimited streaming experience after installing Surfshark on your Roku device. This is because this VPN service provides strong encryption, and fast speeds, hides your IP address, protects your internet activity, and lets you content on U.S live channels or access content from any streaming provider.
Even if you are unhappy with its performance (which is highly unlikely), Surfshark provides a refund policy that lets you claim your money within 30 days of your subscription. Certainly, investing in a Surfshark subscription is 100% risk-free.
Let’s find out how to set up Surfshark on Roku.
Table of Contents
How To Set up Surfshark on Roku
You won’t find the Surfshark app on the Roku app repository, and you can’t sideload the app on your device as well. However, we have uncovered methods to use Surfshark or any VPN service with Roku.
Follow the methods to install and configure Surfshark on your Roku device.
Method 1: Configure SurfShark on Roku via Physical Router
The easiest way to set up Surfshark on Roku is to install the VPN on your router. See this guide to learn more about installing SurfShark on a router. Once you install Surfshark on your router and share a connection with your Roku device, you can easily bypass geo-restrictions and stream content.
However, you must first confirm your router firmware supports VPN installations. If your router isn’t VPN-compatible, you can consider flashing it with new firmware. You may damage your router firmware if you flash the router’s firmware incorrectly.
If you don’t want to tamper with your router’s firmware, purchasing a VPN-compatible router is best. Thankfully, Surfshark supports various routers on the market, including ASUS routers, DD-WRT, Tomato, TP-Link, and many others.
Follow the steps to setup Surfshark on your physical router:
- Step 1: Get your Surfshark subscription (You get a 30-day money-back guarantee on any subscription plan you get).
- Step 2: Set up the VPN on your router.
- Step 3: Type your router’s IP address in your internet browser and launch the control panel.
- Step 4: Open the details in the VPN client area based on your router firmware model (DD-WRT, ASUS, TP-Link, etc.).
- Step 5: After configuring the VPN on the router, connect your Roku device to the router. You can do this by opening the Roku Settings, selecting Network, clicking on Set up Connection, selecting Wireless, then connecting the Roku to the Wi-Fi.
Once you connect your Roku device to the router the VPN is installed on, you can stream more channels and unblock geo-restricted content across different streaming networks.
Method 2: Configure SurfShark on Roku via Virtual Router
You can create a virtual router if you don’t have a physical router. This method saves you the stress of maneuvering or adjusting your router firmware and potentially damaging it. This method involves setting up a VPN connection on your PC or Mac computer and sharing the connection with your Roku device.
Once the Roku device is connected to the VPN-enabled hotspot connection shared from your PC, you will unblock any streaming channels and stream content from the United States from any part of the world.
Follow the steps below to complete this setup:
- Step 1: Get a SurfShark subscription (with a money-back guarantee).
- Step 2: Download the Surfshark PC app and install it on your computer.
- Step 3: Click the Internet connection icon in the taskbar, and select Network & Internet Settings.
- Step 4: Click on Mobile Hotspot.
- Step 5: Click the toggle to allow your computer to share an internet connection with other devices.
- Step 6: Click on Status in the left-hand menu.
- Step 7: Select Change adapter options.
- Step 8: Right-click on the Surfshark Tap Adapter option.
- Step 9: Click on Properties.
- Step 10: Open the Sharing tab and checkmark the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” box.
- Step 11: Choose the network connection you just created and tap OK.
- Step 12: Open the Surfshark app on your computer.
- Step 13: Connect to the US server.
Note: If you are connecting to the US server, you must ensure the location or region in your Roku account is the United States. If your Roku region is set to the US, jump to step 19; if not, continue with the steps below.
- Step 14: Connect to the Surfshark U.S. server and visit https://owner.roku.com on your device.
- Step 15: Choose the United States as your country.
- Step 16: Enter a US zip code.
- Step 17: Hold the reset button at the back of your Roku device and let go after 15 seconds. Doing this will factory reset the device.
- Step 18: When the device reloads, log in using the credentials you created for your US account.
- Step 19: Go to your Roku Settings.
- Step 20: Click on Network.
- Step 21: Select Set up Connection.
- Step 22: Click on Wireless.
- Step 23: All available Wi-FI connections in your area will show. You will also see the mobile hotspot connection you created in this list. Select your Wi-Fi network and enter your password to share your connection.
If you follow these steps accordingly, you will have no issues setting up Surfshark VPN on your Roku device.
Method 3: Configure SurfShark on Roku via Smart DNS
SurfShark has a smart DNS service, which you can use to install the VPN on your devices, including Roku. This method is straightforward and can be completed within 3 minutes. Follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Subscribe to Surfshark if you haven’t.
- Step 2: Log in to your account using the credentials you used while subscribing to Surfshark.
- Step 3: Click on Devices.
- Step 4: Scroll down till you get to the smart DNS section. Then click the Activate button.
- Step 5: To use the SmartDNS feature, you will be prompted to verify your IP address.
- Step 6: Click the Activate button after entering your IP address.
- Step 7: Wait until the smart DNS system is activated. You can refresh the page if the status shows “Pending” for too long. The status will show “Active” once the smart DNS feature is activated.
- Step 8: You will receive an email signifying the completion of the activation process.
- Step 9: You can log in to your account to confirm the activation. Once you login in, the status area will show Active, and the DNS address will be displayed.
- Step 10: Take note of the DNS address because you will configure it on your Roku.
With these steps above, you can successfully install Surfshark on Roku using the Smart DNS feature. However, it is imperative to let you know that the smart DNS technology isn’t robust enough and doesn’t offer the level of privacy and security of a VPN.
If you desire more anonymity and privacy on the web, try the VPN option rather than the smart DNS feature. Nevertheless, all three methods above help you connect your Roku device to your selected Surfshark servers.
However, Surfshark isn’t the only VPN service to install on Roku. If you want like to try out another VPN service, you can check out the following guides below:
- How To Install ExpressVPN On Roku
- How To Install Atlas VPN On Roku
- How To Install NordVPN On Roku
- How To Install PureVPN On Roku
- How To Install IPVanish On Roku
- How To Install CyberGhost VPN On Roku
How To Bypass Geo-restricted Streaming Services and Unblock Live TV Channels With SurfShark?
Many users outside the United States cannot access several streaming sites on Roku due to licensing agreements and policies. Certain streaming channels, apps, and content distributors can legally broadcast their content in certain countries.
So Roku must comply with these licensing agreements and prevent users abroad from accessing content exclusively reserved for United States audiences.
The Roku OS is built to recognize your IP address. For instance, if you have a US IP address, you can typically access any streaming channel in the United States. Still, if you are in a country where the content is unavailable, the system will check your IP address and block you from accessing the content.
It is painful to miss out on channels and content where people get on-demand TV shows and movies. However, you can deal with these restrictions by using the Surfshark VPN service on any streaming channel or app you use.
Surfshark provides multiple VPN servers that you can use to unblock content and access geo-restricted channels. It works by hiding your physical location and changing your real IP address. Then, it gives you a new IP address, which will be the IP address of the VPN server you selected. Your internet connection becomes private and secure once the VPN connection is established, and you can stream content without worrying about any issues.
Fortunately, Surfshark is compatible with several streaming services such as Amazon Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, and Netflix. The aforementioned services are known for blocking content in certain regions due to licensing agreements.
Can SurfShark Unlock Netflix?
You can unblock the Netflix U.S. or U.K. library with Surfshark, and you’d be glad you did. We tried Surfshark on various Netflix libraries, and it did a good job unblocking the geo-blocks.
Surfshark can unblock more than 20 Netflix libraries, including the U.K., U.S., and South Korean ones. All you have to do is to connect to the VPN server of the country you want to watch content from. In this case, we connected to South Korean servers and found many great South Korean movies on Netflix.
Can SurfShark Unlock BBC iPlayer?
BBC iPlayer is a streaming platform solely created for UK residents and is only accessible in the United Kingdom. You will have issues accessing BBC iPlayer if you are abroad or outside the United Kingdom. It’s pathetic to learn you can’t use or enjoy this service if you travel outside the U.K.
Thankfully, Surfshark provides multiple servers in the United Kingdom, which can help you unblock BBC iPlayer on Roku. Not only will these servers unblock UK content, but they will also allow you to see content from other UK channels on your streaming device.
We tested the London, UK servers and were able to watch content such as Peaky Blinders from the BBC iPlayer library.
Can SurfShark Unlock Hulu?
Hulu is renowned for its strict geo-restrictions as it streams content in the U.S. alone. Millions of people can’t unblock Hulu because they don’t have a US IP address. However, we can access the rich Hulu library even if we are not within the US.
Surfshark has more than 500 servers in the United States, and you can connect to any of these servers to watch on-demand content on Hulu from your base or home country. Thanks to the VPN connection, Surfshark helped us stream Pam & Tommy and many other popular movies on the Hulu app.
Surfshark is a top choice for binge-watchers and cord-cutters who want to improve their streaming experience quickly. A 30-day money-back guarantee covers your Surfshark subscription, and you can cancel your subscription whenever you want and get a full refund if you are not happy with the performance.
You are unlikely to be dissatisfied with Surfshark because it has thousands of happy customers. Moreover, Surfshark will give you a quality streaming experience by securing your internet connection and helping you bypass the geo-restrictions on various streaming sites. Visit their official website today and get a VPN subscription that meets your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best VPN?
Although there are many high-quality VPN services to use on Roku, Surfshark is one of the top brands.
Does Surfshark store logs?
Surfshark has a no-logs policy, meaning they won’t monitor, track, or store your online activity. Essentially, Surfshark will not log your IP addresses, network traffic, connection timestamps, browsing history, used bandwidth, and more.
It only keeps a little detail of information to enable a VPN connection, which is deleted immediately after the VPN connection is disabled.
Does Surfshark have unlimited data?
Surfshark offers unlimited simultaneous connections, so you can connect to as many devices as you want. It doesn’t matter how many devices you have in your home; you can protect all devices by connecting them to the Surfshark VPN servers.
Does Surfshark work with Netflix?
SurfShark works seamlessly with Netflix. All you need to do is choose a VPN server, connect to it, and stream content from your Netflix app.
Does Surfshark work with Roku?
Although Roku doesn’t have dedicated support for VPNs, you can set up Surfshark on Roku and enjoy VPN coverage.
Surfshark gives you fast servers to watch on-demand TV shows and movies on any streaming site. One of the amazing benefits of Surfshark is that it lets you watch your favorite online content in 4K without buffering.
It also unblocks content on streaming apps like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Netflix, and many more.
How can I install Surfshark on Roku?
You can install Surfshark on your Roku device through any of the methods discussed in this guide. Once you setup this VPN on your router and share a connection to your Roku device, you are good to go.
What routers work best for Surfshark?
I assume you are looking for a VPN-compatible router to buy. If yes, I highly recommend the InvizBox 2 VPN router because it readily integrates with the Surfshark platform. Other worthy mentions are the ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900 WiFi Gaming Router and Synology RT2600AC.
Almost everyone knows that Roku doesn’t support VPNs. That doesn’t mean you can install Surfshark or any VPN on it. This guide has proved that you can install Surfshark on Roku and enjoy non-stop streaming across all platforms.
If you enjoy binge-watching movies, using a VPN becomes pertinent, especially if you are using any free online movie site. Also, if you own a Fire TV device, find out how to install Surfshark on Amazon FireStick.