So if you are using an older version of Kodi, we recommend updating the application to the recent version. Updating your current version of Kodi to the latest version upgrades the security and performance of the app.
At the moment, the latest Kodi version is 20 Nexus. If you use the 19.5 Matrix or older versions, see this article to update your Kodi app.
This post provides detailed instructions on how to update Kodi on FireStick. If you own a FireStick device, you will need this guide.
The instructions in this guide have been tested and confirmed to work on all Amazon FireStick devices, including FireStick Lite, Fire TV Cube, FireStick TVs (2nd & 3rd generation), Fire TV Stick 4K & 4K Max, etc.
ATTENTION: Hackers, ISPs, and even your government constantly snoop on your internet traffic and monitor your online activity. Therefore, you may land into trouble for accessing copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick. We recommend getting the best FireStick VPN to shield your IP address whilst securely streaming your favorite movies, shows, and TV content.
Specifically, ExpressVPN is offering a whopping three extra months free on their yearly plan.
Table of Contents
What is Kodi?
Kodi is a media player that helps you watch or stream content directly from your device. Kodi streams sports matches, PPV, movies, and TV shows, movies on various devices, including Fire TV devices, Android, Microsoft Windows, Mac, Linux, Apple TV, GBox, and Raspberry Pi.
Kodi is one of the best apps for jailbroken FireStick devices. If you haven’t installed the Kodi media player on your device, you may miss out on tons of cool content.
Additionally, Kodi is free to use; it is a popular choice for people who jailbreak their Fire TV devices.
What Should You Update Kodi?
I can’t overemphasize the importance of updating the Kodi app. If you use smart devices and gadgets such as PCs and smartphones, you install recent versions of the app or software running on your device.
Updating your Kodi app is more of upgrading the app for an improved experience. From time to time, the Kodi developers work on the app by fixing issues affecting the smooth running of the app and incorporating newer features that users will be happy to use.
If you have an older version of Kodi and refuse to update to the most recent version, you deny and restrict yourself to the latest features and fixes in the app. If you are experiencing buffering issues or the Kodi app isn’t working on your device, a good way to fix it is to update the app.
Newer Kodi apps are bug-free and well-optimized to provide the best streaming experience. Since Kodi is a third-party app, it won’t be automatically updated on FireStick. So, if you want to update the app, you must do it manually.
How To Update Kodi To The Latest Version
For FireStick users, we will use the Downloader app to update Kodi. Downloader is a popular app amongst cord-cutters and can be found on the Amazon App Store.
Follow the steps to update the current version of your Kodi app on FireStick. In case you have sideloaded your FireStick, you can jump to Step 16:
- Step 1: Open your Fire TV home screen.
- Step 2: Go to Find.
- Step 3: Click Search.
- Step 4: Search for Downloader.
- Step 5: Select the app and follow the on-screen prompts to install it on your FireStick.
- Step 6: Open your FireStick Settings.
- Step 7: Click on My Fire TV.
- Step 8: Select Developer Options.
- Step 9: Click on Install Unknown Apps.
Note: In case you didn’t see the Developer Options feature, return to your FireStick Settings and click on My Fire TV. Then tap About, and click Fire TV Stick up to seven consecutive times. You will see the developer options menu after following these quick steps.
- Step 10: Turn On The Unknown Sources option for Downloader.
- Step 11: Return to your Fire TV Settings.
- Step 12: Click on Preferences.
- Step 13: Select Privacy Settings.
- Step 14: Click on App Usage Data.
- Step 15: Disable the Collect App Usage Data option.
The steps below show instructions to update Kodi on Firestick:
- Step 16: Press the Home key on your remote until a prompt appears.
- Step 17: Click on Apps.
- Step 18: Launch the Downloader app on “Your Apps and Channels”.
- Step 19: Click the input box.
- Step 20: After clicking the input box, you will see an on-screen keyboard appear on your screen. Enter the URL – https://bit.ly/3MGrQ1D.
- Step 21: Click GO.
- Step 22: Wait until the new update is downloaded.
Suppose you aren’t happy with the Kodi 20.0 Nexus version; you can uninstall it and revert to the older version (Kodi 19.5 Matrix) but type this URL – https://bit.ly/45CwaHL in the URL text box. However, if you want to install the new update, follow the steps below to complete the installation.
- Step 23: Click the Install button after downloading the Kodi app.
- Step 24: Wait until the file is installed.
- Step 25: You will see an App Installed notification signifying the Kodi update file has been successfully installed.
- Step 26: To confirm the version installed on your device, open the Kodi app, click on Settings, and select System Information.
- Step 27: The app’s details and version will be displayed at the bottom area.
How To Update Kodi on FireStick Via ES File Manager
ES File Manager is a file manager application with sideloading abilities. However, it is no longer free to sideload apps with ES File Manager. Although ES File Manager has a free plan, users must upgrade to the plan for $9.99 to sideload Fire TV apps.
This is why Downloader remains the most popular choice, as it is free to use. You can update Kodi via ES File Manager using the steps below:
- Step 1: Open your FireStick home screen and search for ES File Manager.
- Step 2: Open the app if you have it installed, but if you don’t, download it.
- Step 3: Click on Tools.
- Step 4: Select Download Manager.
- Step 5: Click +new.
- Step 6: Enter the URL – https://bit.ly/3MGrQ1D in the Path area.
- Step 7: Click OK.
- Step 8: Once the file downloads on your device, click Open File and follow the installation prompts.
- Step 9: Wait until the app is done installing.
- Step 10: Return to your home screen and launch the app.
Update Kodi on Raspberry Pi
If you are using Kodi on Raspberry Pi, follow the instructions below to update the app.
- Open the Kodi app.
- Go to Settings.
- Select LibreELEC.
- Navigate over System.
- Change Automatic Updated to Manual.
- Click on Update Channel and select the latest version available.
- Click Available Versions and select the latest version available.
- Click the Yes button to confirm the update.
- Wait until the update is installed.
Update Kodi on GBox
To update Kodi on Gbox, you need a sideloading app, most preferably the ES File Manager app.
- Visit the Google Play Store.
- Search for ES File Manager.
- Get the app if you don’t have it installed.
- Enter the URL – kodi.tv/download in the browser. Go to Android and choose ARMV7A (32-bit) or ARMV8A (64-bit), depending on your operating system.
- Download and install.
Update Kodi on Android
We will need to use the Google Play Store app to install the latest version of the Kodi app. The steps below will show you how to do this:
- Open the Google Play Store app on your Android phone.
- Navigate to the search bar.
- Search for Kodi.
- You can install the app (if it’s not on your device already) or update to the recent version (if available).
- Wait for the app to install, then you can start using it.
However, if you don’t have access to Google Play Store, you can get the latest version of the Kodi app from their website via kodi.tv/download. Select Android and choose either ARMV7A (32BIT) or ARMV8A (64BIT), depending on the nature of your platform, then download. After downloading, click on Install and follow the prompts.
This installation process will work on all Android devices, including the Android box. You can find the downloaded file in the Download Folder, where you can access it whenever you want to open or install it.
Update Kodi on macOS
If you are using Kodi from your Mac computer, you can get the latest version for your device from the Kodi website.
- Open your preferred internet browser.
- Type Kodi.tv/download in the search bar and Enter.
- Select macOS.
- Click on Installer 64bit.
- Install the app after downloading it.
Update Kodi on Windows
You can download Kodi on your PC from the Windows Store. Open the Windows Store and search for Kodi. By default, the recent version is what you get when you install the app.
Alternatively, if you don’t want to go through the process of updating Kodi from the Windows Store, you can get the latest update from the Kodi website. Follow these steps.
- Enter the Kodi website URL – kodi.tv/download.
- Select the Windows icon.
- Install 32bit or 64bit, depending on your PC operating system.
- The Kodi file will start downloading on your Windows, so wait until the download is completed.
- When you open the file, you will see a welcome screen.
- Click Next and agree to the license agreement.
- On the next screen, check all the components and click Next.
- Select your preferred destination folder, then click Next.
- If you have Kodi installed, you will see a pop-up window requesting you to overwrite the previous installation. Select Yes and click OK.
- Choose your preferred folder and Install.
- Click Finish when the installation is completed.
Moreover, you can update Kodi on Windows from the app interface. See the instructions below:
- Launch the Kodi app.
- Navigate to Add-ons.
- Click Package Installer.
- Select Install from repository.
- Go to Program Add-ons.
- Select Windows Installer and click Install.
- Return to the main screen and select Add-ons.
- Select Program add-ons and click on Kodi Installer.
- Select 32bit or 64bit depending on what your operating system supports. Then, install the latest version available.
What Do To When Kodi Update Fails on FireStick?
If you are unable to update your Kodi app, consider uninstalling and reinstalling Kodi. However, remember that doing this will erase your existing data.
- Open your FireStick Settings.
- Open Applications.
- Select Manage Installed Applications.
- Select Kodi.
- Click Force Stop. Clicking this option prevents the Kodi app from running in the background.
- Click Uninstall.
After uninstalling Kodi, try reinstalling the app. If you don’t know how to do this, follow this article to learn how to install Kodi on FireStick.
How to Downgrade to Kodi 19
Some users have experienced issues while trying to use Kodi 20 on their streaming devices. To use Kodi, they set out to downgrade it. If the Kodi 20 version isn’t working on your device, you can downgrade it to Kodi 19.
Follow the steps below to downgrade Kodi to the previous version.
- Open Downloader.
- Click the URL box, enter this URL – https://bit.ly/45CwaHL and click on Go.
- Wait until the app is downloaded. Then follow the on-screen prompts to install it.
- Once the app is installed, click on Done.
- When you return to Downloader, you may have to delete the APK file because it’s no longer needed. Click Delete and select Confirm.
How To Use Kodi on FireStick Safely
While you enjoy streaming your favorite video content on Kodi, it is pertinent to let you know that everything you do on Kodi is open to everyone. This means your streaming activity is exposed to your ISP and Government.
We encourage you to stream content in the public domain but streaming copyrighted content from unofficial sources can get you into legal trouble.
If you plan to watch free movies, sports games, and TV content on Kodi, we recommend using ExpressVPN. ExpressVPN remains the top choice for Kodi users because it offers fast streaming services. Additionally, it deals with streaming issues such as content blocking/geo-restrictions, ISP throttling, and buffering effortlessly.
The steps below will guide you on how to install and use ExpressVPN on FireStick:
Note: Keep in mind your subscription comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, which lets you freely use the VPN for the first 30 days of your subscription. If you are happy with the results (which rarely happens), you can ask for a refund.
- Step 2: Open your Fire TV home screen.
- Step 3: Navigate to Find.
- Step 4: Click Search.
- Step 5: Search for ExpressVPN and select the appropriate option from the search results.
- Step 6: Click the Download button.
- Step 7: After downloading, follow the on-screen prompts to ensure the app is installed on your device.
- Step 8: Open the ExpressVPN app.
- Step 9: Enter the login credentials created while purchasing your subscription.
- Step 10: Click Sign In.
- Step 11: After signing in, select a server and tap the power icon to connect to the server.
Using ExpressVPN will give you peace of mind while streaming your favorite movies and TV shows on the Kodi app.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Kodi?
Kodi is an app where you can stream movies, TV shows, sports events, and any digital content. Kodi is available for Mac, Windows, Raspberry Pi, Fire TV, and Android devices.
What Does Kodi Do?
Kodi helps you stream anything you want to watch on your TV screen, including live TV channels, anime & cartoons, kids’ content, news, weather reports, documentaries, movies, entertaining videos, music clips, sports matches, and so much more. Kodi uses add-ons and builds to provide content on your streaming device.
Why Update The Kodi App?
It’s important to update your Kodi application whenever you see a new update. Keeping your Kodi app updated helps you access the latest features, optimization, bug fixes, and other enhancements, improving your streaming experience.
How Can I Update Kodi?
You can update Kodi by following our guidelines. If you have a FireStick, you can apply the guidelines in this article because it works on all Fire TV Stick devices.
How Can I Update a Kodi Add-on?
Before you update a Kodi add-on, it’d be wise to check if it has an update available. To do this, open the Kodi settings menu, select My Add-ons, and click on Update. You can turn on the auto-update feature to allow the system to update the add-on automatically.
Will I Lose Data After Updating Kodi?
Updating your Kodi app will not wipe or cause you to lose your add-ons, builds, plugins, and other data. If you follow the guidelines here, you will not lose your data.
What Is The Latest Kodi Version?
At the moment, the latest Kodi version is 20 Nexus, released in March 2022.
Is Kodi Safe to Use?
Kodi is completely safe to use. Kodi has been around for years and is available on several devices. Moreover, it doesn’t host any harmful or illegal apps, making it legal to use.
Updating your Kodi app is a good practice, so each time you see an available version, consider updating to that version. In case you encounter any issues trying to install the update, uninstall your current version and reinstall the latest version. We hope you found this helpful.