Online streaming is a big thing right now. Hulu, YouTube, Disney+ Amazon Prime Video, and particularly, Netflix are the biggest streaming platforms in the world. Hulu is one of the popular and leading streaming household names in the United States, boasting of a large catalog of content from a library of TV channels, films, and shows.
Streaming services have changed the way in which we watch our favorite TV shows and movies. Not only are you no longer limited to your cable or satellite service, but you can stream movies, shows, and sporting events at the click of a button. This is largely thanks to services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. Many have also taken advantage of these streaming services by watching them on their gaming consoles.
Hulu is a popular worldwide service offering thousands of TV shows, movies, and documentaries. While Hulu is popular in the U.S, it is basically nonexistent in other parts of the world. What if you are an American Hulu subscriber who traveled or resides elsewhere but wants to watch video content on Hulu?
Hulu is exclusively available to U.S residents and they have geo-restrictions in place. This can be frustrating especially if you are looking to watch original shows such as Only Murders in the Building, Castle Rock, and The Bold Type.
Thankfully, it is not impossible to watch Hulu content outside the United States. There is a way you can bypass the geo-restrictions and watch Hulu content from abroad on your Nintendo Switch. Even while being abroad, you can catch up on your favorite movies, films, and TV shows, just the way you watch HBO, The Criterion Channel, BBC iPlayer, or US Netflix.
This guide will teach you how to access your favorite shows, movies, and content on Hulu on Switch outside the United States.
How To Watch Hulu On Nintendo Switch Outside The U.S.A
1. Use a VPN
The best and most recommended way to watch Hulu from abroad is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) service. In case you don’t know what a VPN does, a VPN gives you privacy and lets you use the internet anonymously by giving you a different IP address.
By now, you should know that your internet activities can be monitored and tracked. Most people use a VPN to hide what keeps what they are doing online away from prying eyes. Moreover, some people use a VPN to access any content that is blocked in their region. For instance, when you use a VPN that gives you a U.S server and that gives you a U.S IP address, other websites and online platforms, including Hulu will believe that that is your location.
Regrettably, the Nintendo Switch doesn’t natively support VPN connections. However, it is important for you to be aware that using a VPN solution is the only way you can stream Hulu on Switch outside the United States.
A VPN encrypts the entire internet traffic between your PC and the VPN server and routes it through a server to the selected region. In doing this, the VPN prevents anyone on your local network from altering, modifying, or monitoring your traffic. If you select a U.S server, it would seem as though you are trying to access Hulu from the United States.
In addition to the VPN server, your internet traffic gets mixed with traffic from other people on the VPN server and the rest of the internet. This makes your traffic trackable to the VPN server only and not to your computer, home, or office network.
When choosing a fast streaming VPN for Hulu, you should consider using a VPN service that has many servers in the United States. In fact, a good VPN should be of high speed and must have top-quality security in place – even if you are connected to the internet via Wi-Fi.
Although the extra steps and encryption layers are capable of deaccelerating any internet connection, however, there are great VPN service providers with quick connection speeds. These VPN providers typically have fast servers that are speedy enough for you to access online services and stream and browse the internet quickly.
One of the benefits you will get from using a VPN is security, unblocking geo-restrictions and geo-blocked content is also an advantage.
Below are some of the benefits that you will get after installing a VPN on your Nintendo Switch console:
- Online privacy: If you value your online identity, using a VPN will be a good idea. One of the benefits of connecting to a VPN is that it hides your real identity and helps you gain anonymity on the internet.
- Unblocked geo-restricted material: When you use a VPN, you can access as well as unblock worldwide content irrespective of where you are. For instance, installing a VPN on your Switch will help you access overseas content on Hulu.
- Top-grade security: A VPN creates a private digital channel that gives top-level security to all users connected to it.
- Boosts your internet connection speed: Most times, your Internet Service Provider alters the speed of your internet connection after you’ve consumed a certain amount of data. This wouldn’t be the case if you are connected to a virtual private network. With a help of a VPN, you will no longer experience throttling issues from your ISP. Moreover, your internet connection will be fast enough to stream videos and play online games smoothly.
- Preventing Surveillance: Another benefit of using a VPN is that you cannot be monitored and not even your ISP can know what you are up to.
- Save Money: There is no doubt that using a VPN can help you save money in the long run. This is true if the website where you want to shop offers special discounts and offers to people using an IP address of a certain region or country where the product is available.
Apart from the abovementioned benefits, there are other features you will consider when looking for a VPN for your Switch. Some of the features include the no-log policy, a kill switch, and compatibility with other gadgets and devices. Having these functionalities in place will give you a safe and secure user experience that will allow you to watch your favorite movies, films, and TV shows on Hulu.
It is relatively easy to unblock Hulu abroad. Follow the steps below to start viewing Hulu content on Switch outside the U.S:
- Step 1: Choose your preferred VPN service.
- Step 2: Subscribe to a plan to suits you.
- Step 3: Download their mobile app.
- Step 4: Create your account and log in.
- Step 5: Choose your preferred U.S server from the list of options.
- Step 6: Launch Hulu on your device.
- Step 7: Run any TV program, show, or movie and enjoy watching the content.
As of now, the most reliable and trusted VPN provider is ExpressVPN. Without a doubt, ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs to use in 2022. Being a well-known VPN provider, this brand has the excellent ability to unblock geo-blocked content.
Similar to other VPN solutions on the market, ExpressVPN guarantees your privacy by hiding your IP address for you to use the internet anonymously. It encrypts your internet traffic, which in turn safeguards your personal information.
2. Use Hulu App on Nintendo
At the time it was newly released, the Nintendo Switch was strictly limited to only gaming activities. With time, there were additions such as Hulu and YouTube, which are now available for online streaming on the gaming console.
Regrettably, Hulu is only available in the United States, which means people abroad cannot view Hulu content on their Switch. Luckily, this will no longer be a problem because when you have a VPN installed on your Nintendo Switch, you can access Hulu wherever you are.
All you need to do is to connect to a U.S server, then you will get an American IP address, which gives you unrestricted access to Hulu regardless of where your location might be. The Hulu mobile app lets you view all the movies, shows, and content on Hulu on your screen. The app is available on Android and iOS and they are easy to use.
Hulu adds new video content and updates its library daily. You will never be bored for a single moment while using the app. You can switch snippets or full episodes of your favorite TV series as well as catch up on the trailer and full seasons of the new and old blockbuster movies.
Based on your location, you will likely face geo-restrictions on Hulu. If you are outside the United States, you will not be able to access or view content on the Hulu app. So, you can use a VPN to watch your favorite TV series and movies on Hulu without issues.
Here’s how it works:
- Step 1: Install and activate the VPN software on your device.
- Step 2: Go to your mobile app store and search for “Hulu App”. If you are using an iPhone, use the App Store and if you are using an Android smartphone, use the Google Play Store app.
- Step 3: Install the Hulu App.
- Step 4: Select your favorite movies, films, TV series, or shows and start watching them.
3. Use a Smart DNS Proxy
With the Smart DNS proxy service, anyone can easily and securely watch Hulu content across multiple devices. You will not be able to access audio and video content on Hulu but also access the content of other streaming platforms such as Netflix if you are outside the United States.
Furthermore, SmartDNS Proxy enables end-to-end encryption to keep you anonymous and ensure your privacy when using the internet. Consequently, hackers and cybercriminals cannot view your connection requests, monitor your activity, or even access your data. Smart DNS Proxy hides your Internet Protocol (IP) address, thereby making it impossible for you to bypass school, government, office firewalls, and geo-restriction on any website.
Smart DNS Proxy is a fast and free method to bypass geo-blocked content and watch Hulu on your Nintendo Switch. This method is a good option for anyone outside the U.S looking to watch Hulu content on Switch. Moreover, it has secure DNS servers and if you are abroad, your DNS request will be a redirection to a server in the United States, so you can watch content on Hulu without restrictions.
How then can you use a Smart DNS Proxy service? Below are the guidelines and instructions:
- Step 1: Visit the Smart DNS Proxy website.
- Step 2: Open an account.
- Step 3: Right-click the Start button on your PC. Now, click on the Control Panel button to configure your PC settings.
- Step 4: Click on “Network and Internet”.
- Step 5: Go to “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Step 6: Choose “Change Adapter Settings”.
- Step 7: Right-click and select “Properties”.
- Step 8: Uncheck the “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)” option.
- Step 9: Now, choose “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)”.
- Step 10: Under the “General” tab, choose the “Use the following DNS server addresses” option and select the most suitable one from the list.
- Step 11: Ensure that you have checked the settings. If you have, click OK.
- Step 12: When you are done, the system will launch the Windows Network Diagnostics. After then, wait a while and click the “Close” button.
- Step 13: Restart your PC.
After you have restarted your computer, go to Hulu and start enjoying the content.
Best VPNs for Nintendo Switch
The following are the best VPNs for Nintendo Switch:
ExpressVPN is a trustworthy brand in the VPN industry. They have different servers that work with Hulu and can unblock any geo-blocked material on the streaming platform. It unblocks content on several video streaming websites including HBO Now, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, SlingTV, Hulu, and Netflix.
ExpressVPN has several servers in the United States. They are incredibly fast and their network connection is stable. Also, the bandwidth is sufficient enough to stream Hulu content in high resolution.
Furthermore, this VPN provider gives users top-notch security and privacy. It has powerful encryption standards including the 256-bit AES encryption. For more details on their offers, visit their official website.
- 3,000+ servers in more than 160 countries.
- Works with Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, DAZN, Showtime, HBO, SlingTV, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix.
- Quick server speeds.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Strong military-grade AES 256-bit key encryption.
- Compatible with Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, Mac, Ubuntu, Router, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Microsoft Edge.
One of the leading VPN providers in the industry is SurfShark. Apart from helping you unblock the geo-restrictions on Hulu, Surfshark lets you enjoy using other streaming content abroad. It can bypass the geo-restrictions of the U.K and U.S Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and other video streaming platforms.
Furthermore, Surfshark is available in China. So, if you want to access Hulu on Switch in China, using this VPN provider will be a good idea. One of the nice features is that you can share this VPN with your friends and family because it has no restrictions on the number of simultaneous connections.
Surfshark doesn’t’ save logs but it lets you share P2P files. The kill-switch feature is available on both desktop and mobile apps. Surfshark is available on different platforms such as Andriod, Linux, iOS, macOS, and Windows. For additional details, visit the Surfshark website here.
- Has more than 3200 global servers in 60+ countries.
- Good connection speeds.
- No-logs policy.
- CleanWeb ad-blocking feature.
- Secure and strong encryption with OpenVPN.
- Works with Netflix and is good for streaming.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
Over the years, BulletVPN has built a good name for itself in the VPN industry. They consider the safety and experience of their users over every other thing. This VPN provider an excellent option for people who want to play as many online games without worrying about throttling or ISP-related issues.
Just like ExpressVPN, this VPN solution provides you with 3 simultaneous connections along with unlimited server switching and Smart DNS. You can find a good number of VPN protocols on this service and you can use OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, or IKEv2.
This Estonia-based VPN service provider has a user-friendly app that can be run on multiple devices including Android devices, macOS, iOS, and Windows. You can also install int on your router and increase the number of devices you would like to protect. You can find out more benefits and all the features of BulletVPN on their website.
- 154 server locations in 55 countries.
- 6 simultaneous connections.
- High-level encryption.
- Excellent server speeds.
- Free Smart DNS service.
- Unlimited server switches.
- Supports P2P.
- Supports several video streaming websites such as BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, and others.
- Supports multiple devices including Amazon FireTV, Windows, Linux, macOS, and Mac.
- 24/7 live chat support.
NordVPN is one of the best Nintendo Switch VPNs. It has a gargantuan network of over 5,000 supersonic servers in every area of the world. NordVPN gives you a handful of security features and it offers a good way to bypass geo-restrictions on Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, and other streaming websites.
If you are considering purchasing a NordVPN subscription plan, it is imperative to let you know that this VPN provider is worth every penny you spend on it. It protects your online data, encrypts your internet traffic, secures your online privacy, unblocks geo-restrictions, and prevents ISP throttling. This VPN is suited to hide your online activities while working perfectly for streaming and torrenting.
NordVPN is well-designed to protect you from the prying eyes of cyber criminals regardless of the network you are connected to. So when next you are traveling or want to play a game on your console using public Wi-Fi, remember to use the NordVPN.
NordVPN is available on different platforms including Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS. They have a 30-day money-back guarantee – so there is no risk in trying it out. If you need a VPN for streaming or playing online games, this VPN will give you the high-speed connection that you need. Visit the NordVPN website for details.
- CyberSec feature keeps you protected against cyber attacks.
- Great for streaming.
- 5200+ global servers in more than 59 countries.
- CyberSec malware and ad-blocking protection.
- Next-generation encryption with double VPN servers.
- Obfuscation technology that masks VPN traffic.
- Strict no-logs policy.
- Works well with Netflix and Hulu.
- Lightning-fast with P2P support.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Doesn’t save any data logs on its users.
5. CyberGhost VPN
If you love watching channels such as Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu, one of the best VPNs you can use is CyberGhost. This VPN provider encrypts your data and gives you lots of servers to choose from. It has a no-logs policy and the download speeds are fast. The user-friendly interface has the “Best Location” feature that lets you search for the fastest server anywhere in the globe.
This desktop version of this VPN lets you choose a server based on the streaming platforms it can unblock and not just the location. With CyberGhost VPN, you can connect to lots of torrent servers that are optimized for safe and secure P2P file sharing.
With over 8,337 global servers, CyberGhost large network allows you to choose any type of server you want. They have servers in more than 70 countries, including the U.S. The mobile app has a feature that lets you save a particular server as one of your “Favorites”.
If you use this VPN on your Nintendo Switch, you will not encounter lag issues. It features top-grade security features that boost your online security and privacy such as military-grade encryption, adware and malware blockers, an automatic kill switch, and a strict no-logs policy.
Many people feel safe with CyberGhost VPN. Asides from that, they offer a 45-day money-back guarantee to subscribers. This VPN provider is worth trying.
- It offers up to 7 device connections.
- Lots of U.S servers.
- High-grade security features.
- It offers quick speeds for gaming from any server in the world.
- 7 simultaneous device connections.
- Ensure your anonymity and privacy online.
- Quick streaming of HD videos.
- It works with BBC iPlayer, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, Sky Go, Netflix, and others.
- It is compatible with Windows, Ubuntu, Linux, macOS, Android, iPhone, Router, Firefox, and Chrome.
- 45-day money-back guarantee.
What is the VPN For Hulu?
Most VPNs will allow you to watch Hulu even if you are not based in the United States. What they do is provide you with a variety of servers in the United States for you to access content on Hulu. We are proud to recommend ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and SurfShark as the top choices if you are looking for a VPN for Nintendo Switch.
You should have it in the back of your mind that not all VPNs are suitable for you to use. Avoid those free VPNs because they are going to cause you more harm than good. Some of these free VPNs may work with Hulu, however, they will be some complications.
There are often data or bandwidth caps that you may exceed while streaming video content and free VPNs typically have limited server options and lower speeds. That means you will suffer from poor quality video or struggle to find a fast server that gives you quick access to Hulu. If Hulu gets to discover that you are using a VPN, they will disconnect you from using their service. To prevent this from happening, try using a quality VPN service.
An ideal VPN typically come with decent speeds and bandwidth allowances, and they provide you with lots of servers to choose from. If one of the servers doesn’t work, you can try again on another available server that allows you to connect and watch content on Hulu and other video streaming websites.
Spending a couple of dollars every month to get a paid VPN should get you the best value for money especially when you want to secure your online privacy and ensure your anonymity on the internet. We have recommended some of the best VPNs for streaming for you to choose from.
|ExpressVPN||Best for streaming and privacy.|
High-speed servers in over 160 VPN locations.
Supersonic servers for excellent HD streaming.
Top-notch security and privacy.
Works for Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video.
24/7 live chat support.
Free 3 extra months on the annual plan.
|Try risk-free for 30 days. Visit ExpressVPN Official Website Here.|
Free Smart DNS proxy.
Unblocks all major streaming services.
Limited Time 72% Discount.
|Limited Time 72% Discount. Visit BulletVPN Official website Here.|
|SurfShark||Unlimited VPN connections.|
Over 1000 servers.
High speeds and unlimited bandwidth.
Can connect to an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
Compatible with Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, and iOS. 24/7 customer support.
|Visit SurfShark’s official website for available offers.|
|Unlocator||7-day free trial.|
Available Standalone Smart DNS subscription.
|Visit Unlocator’s official website for available offers.|
|NordVPN||Extra security features.|
Extensions for Firefox and Chrome.
|Visit NordVPN’s official website for available offers.|
How To Watch Hulu Abroad With a VPN
Once you have selected a VPN provider to use, you can start watching Hulu from Canada, India, China, or anywhere in the world without limitations. All you need to do is to sign in to your VPN service, then choose a U.S server. Some VPN service providers will allow you to select the location of your IP address.
Once you are connected to a U.S server, your online identity changes and you will be using a U.S IP address. Now go to the Hulu website at www.hulu.com. You can’t watch anything on Hulu if you don’t have an account. Hulu is not a free video streaming website as well and it is not too expensive. You can either pay $6.99 every month with some ads or pay $12.99 per month without ads. New Hulu subscribers get their first month completely free of charge.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What content can I watch on Hulu?
Hulu has some of the best content for viewers and subscribers. Everything is categorized into sections, thereby allowing you to find a movie, film, TV series, or show with ease. Some of the content you will find on Hulu include:
- Reality shows: 90 Day Fiancé, Dr. Pimple Popper, Beyond Scared Straight, etc.
- Adult Animation: American Dad!, The Cleveland Show, The Simpsons, Dicktown, Psychotown.
- TV Shows: Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, Murder on Middle Beach, Euphoria, etc.
- Popular Movies (Old and New): Ride Along, Stillwater, Jurassic Park, Jumanji: The Next Level, Deadpool 2. There are other TV content such as blockbusters, dramas, comedies, action films, mysticism, crime films, classic films, etc.
Where can I watch Hulu content?
You can watch movies and TV shows on Hulu on different devices including Android, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, and Android TV. Also, you can watch Hulu content on certain models of TVs from brands like LG, Samsung, and VIZIO SmartCast as well as some Roku models, Chromecast, and Xbox consoles.
Right now, it is possible for you to watch Hulu content on your Nintendo Switch console, Mac, and PC browsers, or apps.
Why can’t I download the Hulu app on my phone?
You can’t download the Hulu app if you have enabled geolocation or if your geolocation data has not been upgraded. If you use iOS devices like the iPad or iPhone, you only need to change your location in the App Store to the United States.
If you are an Android user, you can also do the same thing. Simply update the country data to the United States (U.S) in the Google Play Market settings and download Hulu for free.
Why is Hulu requesting to know my location?
If you have your geolocation enabled and you are trying to watch content on Hulu, your GPS will reveal your current location. If you are not in the U.S, you will not be able to watch Hulu content even if you have an active subscription. So, what you need to do is to change the settings and reboot your device.
It may seem difficult to access Hulu on your Nintendo Switch if you’re not in the United States, but our detailed easy-to-follow guide will have you up and running in no time.
For clarity, if you are not in the United States and you want to watch Hulu, you will need a VPN. You cannot watch Hulu on Nintendo Switch or any other device abroad if you don’t have a VPN. VPN apps are handy tools for masking your location and encrypting your internet traffic to protect your data and personal information.
If you want to enjoy Hulu on Nintendo Switch but living in a country other than the United States, aren’t able to do so because of geo-restrictions. Since your IP address identifies your location. To watch Hulu series, movies and TV shows outside US on Nintendo Switch, you must use a VPN.
If you want to stream Hulu on Switch, install any of the recommended VPNs to bypass the geo-restrictions. Luckily for you, your Nintendo Switch allows you to switch the screen to a larger TV for better, enhanced viewing. We hope that this guide has helped you with how to watch Hulu abroad on your Nintendo Switch console. If you were able to do this, let us hear how the process went.